In addition to the premium opportunities, organic farming can provide the following benefits.
- Organic grains are in demand, by anyone from millers to livestock producers. These contracts for production are available locally, which limits risk and freight.
- Organic farming practices are designed to improve organic matter and soil health, which will increase land values and allow you to pass on the land in a better state than you when you started.
- Better water quality on your farm and the surrounding area.
- More effective management through certification record-keeping.
- The costs related to obtaining organic certification can be reimbursed through the USDA cost share program.